Thursday, October 4, 2007



It has been a few days since my last post. Things have come and gone. A terrible weekend was had, and a dolorous stroke avoided by observing dolphins. Let it be known that the greatest cure for any ailment is watching dolphins jump through the water to tap a ball suspended over a pool some ten feet above the surface. I crowed and cooed like all the children in the crowd and for a moment I felt that perhaps I was not too different from them.


Tonight I am driving to Philly for various reasons - that is all I really think is necessary to write about that.


Last night instead of going to class I went to a friend's house. I had not seen him in a while, and when I first pulled up his driveway I looked around at the dilapidated walkway and felt slight apprehension. Why is it that in the absence of honest reality, we always assume the worst about things? Human nature is just that, it is human, and it falls more easily that it rises.


Yet the evening was normal. We talked about various things that had little to do with our lives, and then we talked about things that had much to do with them. There is a cycle of conversation that every meeting follows, no matter whether the conversation is long or short. Even a sentence can follow in the footsteps of noun adjective verb noun. Suffix and prefixes fix tenses. All problems are tense to begin with. We are all laughing soldiers, painted green by brass age, and smelling of ball-bearings under pressure. After a while the evening drew on and other people showed up at the house - people that I did not know, and did not particularly care to know. I left and drove home in the darkening night, highbeams on in protest. Every yellow line that passed me by was filled with a word, and the car wrote sentences that danced behind me in the red glow of stopsigns.


This weekend there are things that I have to take care of, and I am sure that I will fail miserably at some of them. It is responsibility that shaves so close to the skin, it is expectations that drag so heavily at the feet, and in the end we are all dead under polaris, under the only thing that never changes.


-Rich

as if we weren't enough for you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.