Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Korea day 3.(part 1)

The Air show began early for us - we left the hotel to go to the Seoul Airfield at 6 in the morning. I was wearing a suit and a tie and I felt strange enough that when I stood in front of the mirror it did not seem like me. I waved my hand back and forth and watched my reflection do the same, but in a more snide manner.

The taxi let us out in front of the back gate and we walked the hundred meters or so to the show entrance. Our breath coiled sibilant around us in the cold morning air and my throat hurt from the dry atmosphere. It smelled a little of shit and of stale water from the river beside us and I looked at the shiny planes and helicopters in front of us and nothing really seemed to make sense. We walked through security and I headed towards our booth to help set up.

Our booth was surrounded on all sides by monsters - Northrop Grumann, G&E, etc. Companies that could swallow our company whole, even knowing how much we were really worth. Their booths were gigantic affairs with custom made everything - ours was just a little thing with a single device represented. I quailed in the shadow of giants. I set up the Blue Force Tracker according to instructions hastily read on our way through the gates, and loaded everything up. It was freezing cold in the gigantic tent that housed our booth and I walked outside to let the sun flay the cold from my body. Thick tendrils of sleep fell to the ground and lay belly up against the sun. I was awake with the country around me and I watched helicopters fly into the base in lines like ants following the scent of honey through a nautilus shell. Oh, Icarus you flew high but your real curse was not vanity but improper science - science wins, now, and God is dead and I wonder if we are all better off for it. I walked back inside and waited for something to happen.

The conference started off slowly - there were few people trickling through the show, so I went and viewed all the other booths. There was one beautiful booth babe whose picture I took and whose picture is at the top of this blog. Her name is Kim Ji Ae, and she gave me her information and told me to contact her. I am a beautiful boy I think I think I am when I'm not.

All around me were inplements of destruction and death and I knew that I was a part of all of it and it did not bother me. It did not bother me at all, and once again I remembered that everything comes with a price attached, even prices have prices and they are terrible and lean, like wolves through the fir trees. I went back to the booth and stood to greet people. I was a booth babe and suddenly everything was full circle and I was resplendent with meaning, a peacock feather soul.

The President of Korea showed up around noon and I went outside to take a picture of him. I was ushered back inside by security men and women with grey toothless smiles and I went back to the booth with my camera. Conversations were altered by the sounds of planes passing overhead and eventually sentences stopped completely. I watched the crowd pass and mentally compared every woman against the girl I had met and they meant nothing at all, less than sand at the bottom of the sea, colored pink and grey by fish bellies and semen from sewers.

Suddenly there was an ocean of security and the President of Korea was walking through the area with his wife. This is the man that I could have had dinner with and did not and I understood that his gravity was heavy because his position was heavy. I felt pity for him and I wondered if he felt pity for me - even if he ever saw me with that straightforward gaze. After the President left I went outside to the food court and ate a lunch with soldiers and security, models, CEOs, everyone who was at the show. I sat alone and munched on fish cakes and ate my jigae. The booth was waiting for me so I went back in afterwards with a cup of coffee, the rest of the day resplendent behind me.

-Rich

bottle poppin what's he droppin?
(I will upload the picture later...blogger in Korea sucks
)

No comments: